« Home | Mussar From A Matchmaker » | Cold Feet » | The Sister Of A Giant » | Begin to see yourself as a soul with a body rather... » | Learning A Mishna » | Waldo's Wisdom » | Don't Fear » | Keeping Perspective » | Small Man Arriving In Big Country » | Arms And Brains »

Breathing Impure Air

I am a smoker.

No, no. I would NEVER put a cigarette in my mouth. I am not suicidal and have no particular aspirations to suffer from any of the various forms of cancer that are caused by smoking. Plus,it makes a person's breath stink. And his clothes. Also, I'd rather spend my money on food for my family, toys for my kids or tzedaka. I wonder what smokers are going to answer G-d after 120 [smokers never get close..] when he shows them the amount of money they wasted in their lives to fulfill their disgusting habit [known in the mussar sefarim as "taaveh"] when they could have used that money to feed hungry children or to help pay for the weddings of orphans.

But still, I smoke.

Second hand. People smoke in my vicinity and I must ingest their noxious fumes.

ICHHHH!!

I am on my way to the USA. I pray that my soul will not suffer too much from what our sages called "tumas eretz ho'amim". And they never went to Times Square! Imagine what they would say today.

I also hope that my sweetest friends will help me. Many are pros at remaining holy in an environment where the spiritual fumes are quite contaminating.

Lord help us all.

Love and blessings!!

have a safe and nice trip. have you heard of third-hand smoke?

this is the term being used to describe 'the invisible yet toxic brew of gases and particles clinging to smokers’ hair and clothing, not to mention cushions and carpeting, that lingers long after second-hand smoke has cleared from a room'

i guess it's possible to bring that type of tumah back with them as well even into our holy borders.

Post a Comment


Powered by WebAds
Segula - 40 days at the Kotel

About me

  • I'm Rabbi Ally Ehrman
  • From Old City Jerusalem, Israel
  • I am a Rebbe in Yeshivat Netiv Aryeh.
My profile