« Home | The Precondition For All Spiritual Growth » | Humble And Happy » | The Power Of A Jewish Soul » | What We Are Doing Here » | No More Rationalizations » | Can't Fool The Ribbono Shel Olam » | Judaism » | S-T-R-A-N-G-E » | Only Sometimes It Goes Away » | More Than Just Better »

A Question For Those With A "Head On Their Shoulders"

Methylchloroisothiazolinone.

I didn't make that word up! It is one of the ingredients of Head and Shoulders shampoo. How much would you get for that in a scrabble game!! [Ask someone on a date to spell that. If he/she gets the right answer I wouldn't necessarily suggest you marry them - but I would take the person for the spelling bee.]

Why do I bring this up? Because I find myself scratching my head when I read Rashi on this weeks parsha. He says [Ch. 6 Pasuk 6] that the root Nichum ALWAYS means to change ones mind ["machshava acheres"]. Then, in the very last comment on the parsha [only a few sentences later!] he says that "nichamti" means "I considered what I should do" [chashavti mah la'asos] - not "I changed my mind".

So which one is it???

I would like to thank a certain Grand Rabbi from Brooklyn named Rabbi Schneerson of blessed memory for pointing this out to me.

Polynapthalensulfonate. Another ingredient. Who thinks of these words??

I don't see the question. Rashi isn't retracting his general supposition that the root נחם means changing one's mind - his focus there is explaining that כי עשיתים doesn't mean "because He made them" but "regarding the fact that He made them".

In my mind, when he says "חשבתי מה לעשות" it means that G-d has to think NOW what to do, which obviously indicates that He's changing His mind or being חושב מחשבה אחרת.

Post a Comment


Powered by WebAds
Segula - 40 days at the Kotel

About me

  • I'm Rabbi Ally Ehrman
  • From Old City Jerusalem, Israel
  • I am a Rebbe in Yeshivat Netiv Aryeh.
My profile