« Home | The Opening Of The Jewish Mind:Part 2 » | What is Hanukah? And when are we going to tell the... » | The Opening Of The Jewish Mind » | What's In A Name » | Lights In A Dark World » | כח הפה » | But I Grew Up A Mets Fan » | Learning from the skin of a pig filled with hot air » | Please Help Me:I Want To Invest In Oil » | Please Help Me:Mercy, Mercy!! »

What is Hanukah? Answer

My friends have urged me to write answers to the "Please help me's". So sometimes, if I have an answer, I will provide an answer although of course there can be multiple answers. Full disclosure:Many of the questions and answers are not my own but what I have seen and heard.

I think Rashi [shabbos 21] was bothered by our Chanukah question - see his words. I understand him to be answering that the gemara knew all along what chanukah is but the question is: Many miracles transpired - the war, the candles etc. Which miracle in particular prompted the Rabbis to institute a new holiday. The gemaras answer - the candles.

וזה בדרך אפשר. וכבר כתבו שעל כל טיפת דיו של רש"י צריך לשבת שבעה נקיים ושהוא מתרץ חבילות של קושיות במילים ספורות


Powered by WebAds
Segula - 40 days at the Kotel

About me

  • I'm Rabbi Ally Ehrman
  • From Old City Jerusalem, Israel
  • I am a Rebbe in Yeshivat Netiv Aryeh.
My profile