« Home | What's In A Name » | Lights In A Dark World » | כח הפה » | But I Grew Up A Mets Fan » | Learning from the skin of a pig filled with hot air » | Please Help Me:I Want To Invest In Oil » | Please Help Me:Mercy, Mercy!! » | Please Help Me:My Name Is Aaaaairman » | Please Help Me:I Want To Keep My Shirt On! » | Please Help Me:I want Yaakov and Leah to be legall... »

The Opening Of The Jewish Mind

Dear Rav Ally

I love Alleyways. The shiurim are wide-ranging deep and always fun!!

But something bothers me. I don't mean to be disrespectful - but why are you close-minded. I like movies, television newspapers etc. etc. I think one should be more open-minded.

Again, thanks for the shiurim and may Hashem grant you many many Talmidim and Talmidos who are inspired by your Torah - on-line and off.

Love S.B.T.

Dearest S.B.T.

Thank you for your kind words. And for your frankness.

I AM open-minded. I am open to holiness, purity, love, happiness, care, feeling the pain of others, communal responsibility, kindness, assimilating into oneself Divine Attributes etc. etc.

Intellectually I also think one should be broadminded. Not to learn Gemara alone. One should learn Minchas Chinuch, Shev Shmatsa, Avi Ezri, Avnei Nezer etc. etc. etc. Rishonim and Acharonim, Chassidim and Misnagdim, Ashkenazim and Sephardim, Mussar and Machshava and even some history.

No my sweetest friend [and if you know S.B.T. he IS sweet] one should not be close-minded. But sometimes when we open our minds too much - we close it.

Love and Bleesings from Yerushalayim!!!

[Note:I am indebted to Rav Shlomo Aviner who opened up my mind to this definition of openness in a piece I read years ago.]

Correct me If I am wrong, but weren't you against having a computer in your home and now you are using it to be marbitz torah. So you see that technology is not bad. It can be made bad. It can also be made to do good. So it is important to keep an open mind with regard to newspapers, television, and movies. All these things can be a source of good.

F.K.

Post a Comment


Powered by WebAds
Segula - 40 days at the Kotel

About me

  • I'm Rabbi Ally Ehrman
  • From Old City Jerusalem, Israel
  • I am a Rebbe in Yeshivat Netiv Aryeh.
My profile